Saturday 18 January 2014

Road Trip Stop 2: Rothenburg

When we were designing our road trip - one stipulation I had was that we went to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. I had been there as a younger kid (definitely before I was a teenager) with my family for the Christmas Markets. We arrived at night, and checked into our cute little hotel with a great big room, and then headed down into the town to visit the Christmas markets. They were just winding down for the evening, but lots of the stalls were still open. My favourite place was the ones selling Sneeballs - these big "snowballs" which are made
of fried dough covered in powdered sugar and chocolate. They are amazing! Rothenburg is one of the best preserved medieval town and it is adorable everywhere! There were lots of Christmas trees and lights. We stopped near to Kathy Wolfharts, which is a shop which only sells Christmas
ornaments and decorations. They are often wooden decorations and are sold all over Germany - but the biggest shop is in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Things pretty much shut down, and then we stopped in a great little restaurant where we got a really random combination of food - but it was yummy - and then I had another Sneeball for desert! I think Rothenburg is mainly a place that you go to see the architecture and how quaint it is - so we wandered around for the rest of the evening. It was pretty relaxed for our trip - but it
was really nice to be back in a place I remembered! I think of all the places we ended up visiting - it was the most Christmassey feeling and it was so nice to listen to Christmas music and even "smell" Christmas from the stalls!

No comments:

Post a Comment