Thursday 9 May 2013

The Grand Palace

We quickly learnt that having our own driver was great - it was hotter than hades out already and he had gotten us ice cold waters and wet wipes to wipe ourselves down with. It was great. On we went to the main attraction in Bangkok, the Grand Palace. Its an official residence of the King, although he doestn usually live there.

I was really worried about how I was dressed, as they were quite strict, but my floor length orange UNIQLO dress was perfect. I had actually been here as a young teenager, maybe I was even younger, but I love it when I can remember the layout of someplace I have been, with gaps of years between visit. The Palace is wonderful, covered in gold leaf, and little mosaics and mirros. Its such a different style to that in Japan - its a little showy, but very beautiful. We really enjoyed learning loads from our tour guide, how much the gold leaf cost, or how they pray about certain things. It was also a temple and shrine, and many locals come and pray there. I loved that Thai people are very open about their religion. Praying on the street, or at a shrine in the middle of nowhere is really interesting to me. And it was so so colourful! We had a great time taking pictures of absolutely everything, but it was really crowded and busy, so we decided to move on a little bit into our tour, but not after getting the first photo of Sophie and I together on our Thailand trip for Golden Week 2013!



No comments:

Post a Comment