Tuesday 11 December 2012

Luminarie....it's 10 days of lights!

In my diary, I keep a list of my favourite places I have visited in Japan. I have visited a lot of places, and to be honest, I think I keep it because I worry I will forget! This time last year, I took my first solo trip somewhere at night, and ended up at the most magical place, the Luminarie. Luminarie is the big illuminations which are held at the beginning of December ever year in order to remember the big Hanshin earthquake which happened in 1995. I have seen some of the photos of the destructionand I can't imagine how they survived that awful cold winter weather. Now, they remember it with huge tunnels of lights, made of up lit up arches which are covered in hand painted bulbs flown in from Italy. It's the same every year - actually it wasn't as good as last year, but it is still really magical. Josh and I went for our big December date, and stayed in Kobe at a lovely hotel too. The illuminations were so pretty, and I love the music that they play as you walk through the tunnel of light. Last year, I went alone, and I was a little sad that I didn't get any photos of me there. But, this year we got tons of photos of us, with Josh getting a nice lady to take a few of us together too. I always love getting photos of us together, and we matched with our lovely scarves that we bought in Korea. It was a really lovely time just being together and enjoying the light. It turns out a lot of our friends were also there, but considering they get a few million visitors over the 10 days that the lights were up, we were unlikely to ever run into them! We sang this Luminarie song to tune of Hannukah...its 8 days of Presents, which was featured on Saturday Night Live...I sang it for days and days after this!



No comments:

Post a Comment