Thursday 30 August 2012

Hiroshima Peace Festival

Last year, I was quite sad that I couldnt get to Hiroshima for the Peace Festival. To be honest, I had only just arrived in Japan, and I had no clue how to get anywhere!So after I stayed at Josh's house on Sunday, I spend my morning shopping in Osaka. I had a nice time, but I didnt find as much as I would have liked. Then I headed down on the Shinkansen to Hiroshima. To be honest, I hadn't done much travel alone before this, but I made my way to the A-bomb dome and it was full of people. The Peace Festival started in the morning with a big ceremony and then in the evening people decorate lanterns, fill them with candles, and then they let them off in the water. It was simply one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. It was beautiful and light and an amazing way to remember the lives that were lost on August 6th, when the Atomic Bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. I loved the different colours in the water, and that everyone, reagardless of age, was there to keep the memory and history alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment