Thursday 10 May 2012

Our own deserted beach

After the temples, we visited a local elementary school. As much as I feel that Japanese classrooms are very empty, Balinese ones are even more so. But the kids come early in the morning and leave about noon, to get out of the heat. And they wear uniforms, which I saw them in, and also hanging on the line. Red uniforms Monday - Wednesday, and brown ones Thursday-Saturday. I suppose it makes sense really. After that, we hopped back on our bikes and made a massive trip...kind of out of the village, along the back streets. I much preffered these types of places, with few cars, and people doing normal everyday things, like laying rice out on the streets to dry, laundry, and carrying fruit on their heads. So we stayed along the main back streets for a while, and I was supprised by how nice some of the houses were. Maybe they were basic on the front, but a lot of them were detailed with the sand carving type thing I had seen at the temples. There were lots of people outside, just chatting and enjoying themselves, but it seemed like everyone had something to do. After many little back streets, we went off into some fields, which were full of cows and chickens. I must say, after 10 months is Japan, I have yet to see a single cow. And yes, I miss them. English cows will always hold a special place in my heart from now on. After our jaunt through fields, we ended up at a beach. And not just any beach. It was completely deserted, and absolutely beautiful. There weren`t any waves, just a mile of sand, and not a single soul. We were a little early for the sunset, but I have no doubt that it would have been a magical place to sit and watch it.





No comments:

Post a Comment