Wednesday 16 May 2012

Elephants, Elephants, Elephants

After the elephant ride, I very begrudginly got down off Roxy and set out to meet some of the other 33 elephants in the park. And they were everywhere. Given that there were lots of people riding them, there were also some hanging out away from the visitors, some being fed, as well as some babies kept seperate. I headed over to meet the baby elephants, who by now were at least a year old, but still quite small, if you could ever call an elephant small. There were 3 little babies, and one being ridden by one of the trainers there and being taught some tricks. All the elephants at the park are taught a command to lift their nose and almost smile for photos. Its really quite cute, and I got to stroke the little elephants too. They were quite curious, and a lot hairier and coarser than they looked. There was an elephant show, which I spent some time watching, there was elephant painting (always my favourite since Hannover Zoo), some maths (crazy eh?) and some hula hooping!It was cute, but I much prefered hanging out by the barriers, and the elephants would put these garlands on me for fun. There were some little kids, and a few couples,
but I was the only person there by myself, so a lot of the trainers came over to say hello and introduce the elephants. I met the one they have which is pregnant, and will be for a long time. Poor thing. But all of them were so cute and let me stroke their noses! A couple of the trainers took me on a tour (on foot sadly) of the elphant facilities and I got to see what they ate, and what they did for fun. There were some elephants playing in the big pool too, just like kids, trying to hold the other under, and making a big mess!




No comments:

Post a Comment