Thursday 10 May 2012

A Chinese Temple in Bali

I knew that Indonesia was a very Muslim country, and before my trip I found out that Bali was a very Hindu island. But what surprised me was the amount of Chinese influences all over the island. I guess I don`t generally put Indonesia and China together in my head. But Ecka said there are a lot of Chinese people who come and live in Indonesia and they have built beautiful temples to worship in all over the island. Right next to the Hindu temple in the village, there was this, bright red Chinese one. Sadly, it was for worshippers only. I guess on such a touristy island, things like that have to be done, so we settled for taking photo of the outside. Outside there were ponds full of lillys, and the roof was decorated just like the ones in China. I loved the bright red of the temple, like it had just been painted. But best was the cute yellow lion guarding the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment