Wednesday 25 April 2012

Down at the beach

After the kind of confusing museum, we headed out past the bunny ears and to the beach. On our way there, we made a few stops. There was an old shrine, now long deserted, which was very rustic, and so interesting. The Japanese policy is to just leave things as they were, not tear them down, so it was interesting to see it so preserved, but overrun by the rabbits and the trees. Farther along, we came to a memorial for the Atomic Bomb in Hiroshima. Because of being in Hiroshima ken, you see these type of memorials a lot of plaaces. We saw one in Mihara too. They usually consist of a large stone with an inscription, as well as tons and tons of folded paper cranes, made by school children when they come to visit. So around the memorial were the beautiful sakura trees. At first I thought that they must be some other type of flower, but truley they were. Which was lovely and we got some lovely photos of them.
A little further along was a very cool star map. I assume Okunoshima is a great place to star gaze, I havent actually done much in Japan, but on a whole, the countryside is pretty dark, and so I bet it's really fun there in an island with no electricity. I just loved it so Wayne snapped my photo and made me happy! We finally arrived at the beach. It was small, but pretty nice. We had seen it from the ferry on
the way in, but I was glad we went down and saw it anyway. There were some kids already building sandcastles, considering the warm weather. There were bunnies here who seemed a little less...fed, and were adorable. We sat on the sea wall for a while, and I realised then, that I love being at the beach so much. Between this, and my school trips to the beach, I just love the smell of the salty air.

No comments:

Post a Comment